Monday, February 3, 2020

Online Asset Pricing back again!

My online Asset Pricing course is back again, after one more software/administrative change once again threatened its demise.  It's still on Canvas, but you have to ask to sign on.

The course is here, University of Chicago Canvas course 23303. To log in and use it, you need to email  instructional.design@chicagobooth.edu.  The course is open to anyone, not just University of Chicago students. If that doesn't work, email me john dot cochrane at stanford dot edu, and I'll see what's wrong.

The videos, notes, and other materials are still available ungated on my website, here, under the "Asset Pricing" tab.

If all goes well you see this:


Economic note: It's interesting how software depreciates so rapidly, though its physical being depreciates not at all. Perfectly good software stops working as operating systems and machines get "upgraded," as IT departments seem to latch on to new "solutions" every three years, and so forth. Most of my email from before the mid 2000s is gone due to an "upgrade." My website is in the midst of an "upgrade" crisis, and I can't seem to keep the online class going for more than two or three years. There is an interesting economics paper in this. As son of a historian, I feel for the historians of a few hundred years from now who, looking back on our interesting era, will find a blank void, as all of our records are unreadable.

4 comments:

  1. I started reading that book a few months ago. I enjoy the math and the thinking behind the model. It was kind of funny because I was going through it, I saw symbols I hadn't touched in 20 years. I was like, "Oh boy, what in the world is this?" After my memory started working again it started to all make sense. It's a very cool model and makes sense in the end as it sticks to the model of MC = MB. The commentary and writing style is awesome, too. Funny turns of phrase throughout.

    I know I sound like I'm gushing a bit, but this is really good stuff, people. If you get the chance to read it, you really start to get a sense of how flexible and applicable the models are. It will certainly work out your math brain muscles. Hey, I enjoy it. Ha.

    As far as hosting and preserving it for the future, Canvas is a pretty good LMS. You can even run your own instances of it on AWS. If you want to have complete control, well, get a cheap little server, backhaul it in a COLO (a closet with a cable drop will work, too!), and there you go. Downside? Someone has to maintain it and manage it. As a side note, I archive stuff into PDF files, too, just in case stuff ends up disappearing. I then have two layers of redundancy for data backup in case something fries, which does happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an issue for reproducibility in scientific research. Code that is archived for more than a few years probably won't run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you please name the paper which you've referred to in your economic note?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this online course still available?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Keep it short, polite, and on topic.

Thanks to a few abusers I am now moderating comments. I welcome thoughtful disagreement. I will block comments with insulting or abusive language. I'm also blocking totally inane comments. Try to make some sense. I am much more likely to allow critical comments if you have the honesty and courage to use your real name.